Sunday, April 29, 2012

What's wrong with Spunky's ear?


Spunky comes right down when I call her.

I admire her new coat of fur.

it's soft and silky and the awful spots have disappeared
(although there's a white speck on her nose now).

You can see new black fur coming in --beautiful!
But then I notice something on and below her ear.

A closer look shows those awful sores.

Oh dear, what can the matter be with Spunky's ear?
I'm afraid the infection in Spunky is systemic and never really goes away, showing up in different places, and this seems to happen after a period of neglect. So much for those who tell me not to feed the squirrels! It's not that I've been deliberately neglecting her, but the last few times I've been there, she was not around.  I'd like to know what this infection is, and if there's a cure for it. She's been much better since we took her to the vet, where she got a 6-day course of antibiotics and healed up beautifully. Not sure how it works, but it must be on time-release. Maybe she needs another one. But I'll see what I can do by providing some good nutrition.

Meanwhile Squiggy, Son of Spunky, is doing just fine.
Hi: I'm Squiggy.

Letting it all hang out.

Can I help you with something?
I'm kinda busy right now.
You wouldn't happen to have another nut, would you?

Little Squirt is doing just fine too.
Squirt is Squiggy's smaller sibling - wow, is that sibilant! He's not only smaller, but shyer. He doesn't play tricks like Squiggy does - like running up your leg or jumping into your bag to grab a peanut -- or sitting up on the bench next to you to eat, like his mother and brother do, but he's still sweet and charming, as these photos show. I'm glad to see that he's healthy, and must be getting enough to eat in spite of his reticence. 

I'm the little Squirt
have something for me?

life's a tree

coming down...wheee!

April 30 Update
When I went back the next day to feed the ailing Spunky, I received a big surprise (squirrels are full of surprises): So-called Spunky wasn't Spunky at all! We've discussed this case of double identity before: http://thenewyorksquirrel.blogspot.com/2012/03/tale-of-two-spunkys.html

When Spunky isn't there I find it impossible to tell the difference between her and the other squirrel. But when they're both there together, I can immediately tell the difference (mostly due to Spunky's expressions and personality). I really should give this other squirrel a name, so let's call her Spanky. She already answers to Spunky, so won't even notice the slight difference. She could be Spunky's identical twin sister. I did think it was a bit odd yesterday that Spunky had descended from Spanky's tree when I called her. I neglected to mention that. Now I know why... it was Spanky! Anyway, Spanky looked a little bit better today, and Spunky looked just fine! Of course, she's still nursing, so that's the reason for the pink spot.
The real Spunky

No comments:

Post a Comment