Thursday, July 15, 2010

Dog Days of Summer

The dog days have arrived, and we're in the middle of a long, hot summer. The squirrels don't come out much when it gets to be 90 degrees. We've been having days in the high 90's all week, and there's no let-up in sight. I walk around passing out frozen grapes and cherries for the takers, but many squirrels are just too hot to come out (no doubt preferring to stay inside their air conditioned holes).  We did have one cooler day that dipped down into the 70's and all the squirrels were upon me with a vengeance. They were famished after days and days of no eating!!  Several of the big grays actually jumped on me when I was sitting on the bench by the fountain (the blacks and brownies are way too shy to ever do that). Passersby were watching and laughing, and I called out to them, "I feel like Alfred Hitchcock's The Squirrels!"

No comments:

Post a Comment